Sony’s strategy of bringing its own games to PC is paying off. This is how ports of Marvel’s Spider-Man, God of War and other titles drive sales of PlayStation exclusives.
In July, Marvel’s Spider-Man ranked 84th among the best-selling video games in the US (physical and digital copies combined). Following the successful release of the PC version, the game shot up to third place.
As Totilo later pointed out, Spider-Man isn’t the only PlayStation game to benefit from a PC release. To illustrate his point, he shared a graphic created by his colleague Tory Lysik.
As you can see below, horizon zero dawn has risen from 89th to 12th place after its release on PC, while God of War jumped from 146th to 5th.
past days saw the biggest boost, rising from 247th to 20th. So Sony’s strategy seems to be working well.
It’s not just Spider-Man. Here’s How Four PlayStation Games Soared Up The US Sales Charts When They Ported To PC
– Esteban Totilo (@stephentotilo) September 22, 2022
How are PlayStation’s own games sold on PC?
- In May, Sony updated sales data for their PC games. Horizon Zero Dawn tops the list, with 2.3 million units sold and $60 million in revenue on PC.
- It is followed by God of War (971k units sold and $26.2 million in revenue) and Days Gone (825k units sold and $22.7 million in revenue).
- The numbers have likely increased since then, so God of War’s lifetime sales on PC could already reach a million units.
- PlayStation has yet to reveal official numbers for Marvel’s Spider-Man. But the game will likely go down as one of the company’s biggest releases on PC, providing its chart performance and more than 26,000 positive reviews on Vapor.
- On October 19, Sony will release Uncharted Collection: Legacy of Thieves on PC, which will likely become a welcome addition to the company’s catalogue.
Sony’s growing PC ambitions
- In 2021, PlayStation acquired the portability study Nixxes Software to help bring more first-party games to PC. The team has already worked on the Spider-Man remaster.
- Later that year, the company also launched PlayStation PC labelwhich will be responsible for all future PC ports.
- Sony expects to earn $300 million of its PC launches during the new fiscal year ending March 31, 2023. That’s a significant increase from $80 million and $35 million in the previous two years.
- The company also stated that PC and mobile titles will account for about 50% of its total revenue for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2026.